What Not To Do On A First Date

Through out the years I feel like it isn’t as common that people go out on dates before becoming a ‘couple’. This could be different if people actually did things correctly on dates and didn’t do any of the dumb things listed below.

1. Expect the other person to pay

For decades it has always been known that a man should pay for a woman on the first date, but what if it wasn’t the woman’s idea to go out? All women want equal rights, so why do some women still think it’s acceptable to make the man pay for the meal. This is something you do not need to worry about if the man is a gentleman and offers to pay but do not expect somebody else to pay for you before they offer!

2. Be a show off

Most people think that first dates should be really extravagant and super expensive. WRONG! There is nothing worse then paying a ridiculous amount of money to sit awkwardly in a restaurant. If you take a woman to an expensive place it makes them feel as if you want something in return and makes them feel extremely uncomfortable!

3. Interview the person

First dates usually help people to get to know one another, but remember you are not interviewing them for a new job. Stick to conversation and just let it roll naturally without grilling them for all information. Not asking too many questions is goal if you are interested in that person, as it means you have an excuse for a second date!

4. Do the stereotypical first date

A dinner and a movie is always great for a date night but it is going to be exactly the same as every other first date that person has been on! For starters, a movie can be very awkward as you have to sit in silence and not able to get to know one another. Be unique, make it the most random first date where you can have fun and are able to actually get to know each other.

5. Brag!

For me this is the most important! There is nothing worse on a date then having to sit and listen to the other person talk about how amazing they are. This is very unattractive and will make the other person feel uncomfortable and not want to see you again. It’s okay to talk about your achievements but you do not need to give every detail and look arrogant while doing so!

6. Be late

This is probably more embarrassing then anything. Do make you date think they have been stood up because you couldn’t drag yourself away from the television to be dressed and ready on time. Being punctual is always a good thing and shows that you are interested. Just think, would you want your date leaving you waiting?

7. Have a salad

Most girls would order a salad on a first date to make it look as if they are really healthy and care about what they eat. This also shows that your not really healthy because if you were you would use this as your cheat meal. Men find it more attractive to see a woman order a steak then to sit watching you eat rabbit food.

8. Sit on your phone

You have come on this date to get to know the other person, so why would you just sit there staring at your phone? This will make your date think you have somebody more interesting to talk to then themselves, so put the phone in your pocket or purse and give them your full attention!

5bbab400-a739-0133-b349-0e438b3b98d1

Related:

Previous Post Next Post

16 Comments

• Reply Emma

Love this, so many good points!! 100% with not going a stereo typical date, do something fun is so much better!! xox

September 3, 2016 at 7:25 pm
  • Reply Becca

YES YES YES! I never expect the other person to pay because I feel like I wouldn’t want equality if I did based on gender stereotypes. I normally leave my phone in my bag until I arrange how I’m getting home / it’s necessary and I try to initiate conversation as best as possible! Loved this post lovely X

September 3, 2016 at 7:29 pm
  • Reply Louise

If a boy asked me to go to the cinema on the first date I’d run away! Xx

September 3, 2016 at 7:31 pm
  • Reply Srna

First dates are so fun but also sooo nerve-wracking! Great post 🙂 xx

September 3, 2016 at 7:34 pm
  • Reply kirsty-rose

I am not sure if I have commented on this post before…but I love this! Definitely some points (like not being on your phone) that a lot of people seem to forget!

September 3, 2016 at 7:36 pm
  • Reply Sofia

If there is one thing I can’t stand is when they other person tries to be cool and show off.
    I also think it is truly sad when you see a couple or 2 people on a date and they’re with their phones, such a waste of time!
    Lovely post x

Sofia | http://www.theglamchapter.blogspot.com

September 3, 2016 at 8:22 pm
  • Reply becky

Sitting on your phone is the worst habit on a date! I can’t tell you how much it bugs me! Also definitely agree that you should always propose to split the bill, at least make the offer!

September 7, 2016 at 7:20 pm
  • Reply Samantha

Some of these are so important like bragging and interviewing. Um, it is only the first date to make sure you’re worth my time, not an interview for a new job so slow your roll!

S .x http://ramblingsofayoungprgirl.blogspot.com

September 7, 2016 at 7:23 pm
  • Reply Robyn

Great advice! I hate it when girls automatically assume guys should pay.
    Lovely post

September 7, 2016 at 7:29 pm
  • Reply Natasha Bolger

All very worthy points there – I agree with every single one.

I love that you mention not to order a salad. I’d rather have a burger haha.

Natasha x

September 7, 2016 at 7:37 pm
  • Reply darriyan

I completely agree with number one! I would never ever expect the other person to pay! I love this post!

Darriyan xo

September 10, 2016 at 3:08 pm
  • Reply Jackqueline Hormander

Hiya, I am really glad I’ve found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish only about gossips and internet and this is really frustrating. A good web site with exciting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this site, I’ll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.

November 4, 2016 at 7:31 am
  • Reply Evelyn Serrell

This is a message to the webmaster. I came to your Chasing My Desire – What Not To Do On A First Date page by searching on Google but it was difficult to find as you were not on the front page of search results. I know you could have more visitors to your site. I have found a company which offers to dramatically improve your rankings and traffic to your site: http://dtl.la/tmJ9x I managed to get close to 500 visitors/day using their service, you could also get a lot more targeted traffic from search engines than you have now. Their service brought significantly more traffic to my site. I hope this helps!

December 19, 2016 at 12:56 pm
  • Reply Jennifer

I decided to leave a message here on your Chasing My Desire – What Not To Do On A First Date page instead of calling you. Do you need more likes for your Facebook Fan Page? The more people that LIKE your website and fanpage on Facebook, the more credibility you will have with new visitors. It works the same for Twitter, Instagram and Youtube. When people visit your page and see that you have a lot of followers, they now want to follow you too. They too want to know what all the hype is and why all those people are following you. Get some free likes, followers, and views just for trying this service I found: http://8si.ru/2gerk

December 20, 2016 at 7:55 pm
  • Reply The Sunday Mode

Oh how awkward if you just expect the other person to pay! I definitely think if someone is using their phone the whole time that’s a huge turn off as well. The only thing is I don’t think it’s a problem to order a salad. I mean I wouldn’t because I usually hate salads (pasta all the way!) but if someone judged me on what I ordered, salad or not I don’t think they’re worth dating anyway….

Julia // The Sunday Mode

February 16, 2017 at 11:29 am
  • Reply Kate

These are such great pieces of advice! thanks for sharing 🙂

VioletDaffodils